Manorial Court Records

The Manorial Court records for 11 years between 1647 and 1675 have survived, in whole or part. They are the records of the court owned by John Coulson, Lord of the manor of Great Ayton

They involve minor civil and criminal cases as well as infractions of the manorial customs such as over-grazing on the open fields of the village.

The manorial court ceased to be of importance after the enclosure of the open fields and commons in 1659.

These records are now kept partly in Northallerton and partly in the Yorkshire Archaeological Society Record Office in Leeds. References are given at the top of each page.

Back to Manor-Court-Rolls
Back to Home

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License