1929 Directory

1929 Kelly Directory

AYTON is a village and parish, comprising the town ships of Great Ayton, Little Ayton with Tunstall, Nunthorpe and Easby, in the Richmond division of the Riding, west division of Langbaurgh liberty, petty sessional division of Langbaurgh West, Stokesley union, county court district of Stokesley and Guisborough, rural deanery of Stokesley, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York. Great Ayton is pleasantly seated about a mile south of the conical mountain of Roseberry Topping, and consists principally of one broad street about a mile long, lighted with gas by a company, and intersected by a small rivulet crossed by a stone bridge of two arches and two of wood. Great Ayton station is three-quarters of a mile east from the village on the Middlesbrough and Battersby branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and is 3 miles north-east from Stokesley. The old church of All Saints, a low and ancient structure, was repaired in 1790 and renovated in 1915, and is now in daily use. Christ Church, erected in 1876 at a cost of 15,000, is of stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch, a narthex porch at the west end and a tower with spire containing a peal of 8 tubular bells, with chimes: there are memorial windows to the Marwood family, to the late Dr. and Mrs. Loy, and to Mrs: Henry Curry; also to Dr. Charles Stuart M.B. and Jessie Stuart, dedicated March, 1924: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1666. The war memorial, erected by public subscription amounting to £300, is on the right of the main entrance to the church: "In proud and loving memory of the men of Ayton who gave their lives for honour and liberty, 1914-1919. Faithful unto death." The living is a vicarage, with Easby _ annexed, joint net yearly value £260, with residence, in the gift of Sir William Francis Marwood K.C.B. and the Archbishop of York alternately,, and held since 1921 by the Rev. William Lawson Smith M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford, who is also curate in charge of Newton in Cleveland. The tithes of Great Ayton amount to £685, and are impropriated. There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1813, with 2oo sittings; also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and the Society of Friends have a meeting-house at High Green. A cemetery of 3 acres, with superintendent's lodge, was formed in 1882 at a cost of £1,800, being extended 11/8, acres in 1925. Here are ironstone mines, a water flour mill and three quarries. In this village the great navigator, Captain Cook, born at Marton-in-Cleveland, 27 Oct. 1728, was first taught to read and write, and the churchyard contains a tombstone to his parents, who were inhabitants of the village; at Easby, near Stokesley, on the summit of a hill, is a monument to his memory. High Green is an open space at the extremity of the village of Ayton. Here are four almshouses, erected in 1859, by Thomas Richardson esq. for the benefit of poor members of the Society of Friends. The trustees of the Procter family are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir Arthur John Dorman bart. K.B.E., J.P.; Sir William Francis Marwood K.C.B., J.P. ;H. C. A. Jackson esq. ; James John Emerson esq. J.P.; J. B. Hodgkin esq.; Alfred Edward Kitching esq. D.L., J.P.; Henry Kitching esq. J.P. and Monkhouse Graham esq. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The area of Great Ayton township is 3.590 acres; the population of the township in 1921 was 2,708.
Post, M. 0., T. & T. E. D. Office, Great Ayton (letters should have Yorks added)

EDUCATIONAL.
Friends' School, Great Ayton, established in 1841, for the education of boys & girls; attached to the school are some entrance scholarships & one leaving scholarship of £25; there is a well-fitted gymnasium, a science laboratory, a swimming bath & ample playgrounds, besides four fields which afford excellent facilities for out-door recreations ; there are now 105 boys & 58 girls, all boarders, & 20 day children; the school is managed by Friends belonging to the Durham Quarterly meeting: Sir John Pease Fry bart. F.S.A., J.P. chairman; Herbert Dennis B.Sc. (Victoria University), head master. The Board of Education recognize this school as an efficient secondary school
Police Station
Railway Station (L. & N. E)
Frequent omnibus services to Middlesbrough, Stokesley & Swainby
LANGBAURGH is a hamlet, s quarter of a mile north, which gives name to a large liberty or wapentake.
LITTLE AYTON with TUNSTALL forms a township in this parish. The tithe amounts to £201, and is impropriated. The trustees of the late Mrs. Procter, who are lords of the manor, Sir Arthur John Dorman bart. K.B.E., J.P. and Alfred Edward Kitching esq. D.L., J.P. are the chief landowners. The area is 1,378 acres; the population in 1921 was 144.
Letters through Great Ayton
EASBY, near Stokesley, is a township and village, in Ayton parish, pleasantly situated in a well-wooded part of the county, 1 mile north-east from Ingleby station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and is 4 miles east from Stokesley. Easby Hall, the seat of George Hedley esq. J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a handsome mansion of stone, standing at the foot of a lofty hill, the summit of which is crowned by a monument erected to the great navigator, Captain Cook, who was born at Marton in Cleveland, in this neighbourhood, Oct. 27, 1728, educated at Ayton, and massacred at Owhyhu, Sandwich Islands, Feb. 14, 1779: the monument was erected in 1827 by subscriptions raised in Whitby, and in 1895 was restored by the readers of the “North Eastern Daily Gazette," and railings to protect it were erected by J. J. Emerson esq. The private chapel, rebuilt in 1881 by the late James Emerson esq. at a cost of £2,500, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower, with spire, containing one bell: the entrance is through the base of the tower: outside the chapel, at the east end, is a mausoleum, erected as a burial place for the Emerson family, and including a canopied recess with a cross in memory of Ann Dorothy, wife. of James Emerson esq. of Easby, d. May, 1880: the window; of the nave and chancel are filled with stained glass as memorials to Eleazer Biggins esq. d. 1855, and his wife, d. 1865; James Emerson esq. and to other members of the Emerson family: the chapel and mausoleum are now the property of James John Emerson esq. J.P,: there are sittings for 70 persons. The registers since 1880 are kept at Ayton, and the earlier registers at Stokesley, to which parish Easby formerly belonged, ' There is a Wesleyan chapel here. The soil is loam, and the subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,211 acres ; the population in 1921 was 130.
Letters thro' Great Ayton, the nearest M. O. & T. office closed on Sundavs Railway

GREAT AYTON.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For TN's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Arundel Mrs. Raby cottage
Ash E. W. Tower house
Besly Mrs. Homelea
Bolckow Maj. Charles Frederick H. Undercliffe
Booth Charles, Langbaurgh cottage
Bulmer Claude, Herdholt
Dennis Herbert B.Sc. Ayton school
Dixon Waynman J.P. Ayton house
Downing John Wilfred, Wellington house, Romany road
Fry Sir John Pease bart. M.A., J.P. Cleveland lodge
Gill William, Cliffe ridge
Hardy Frederick Wyer, Ayton hall
Hutton Albert Walter, Rosehill
Jackson Henry Christopher Atkinson, Beech grove, High street
Kitching Henry J.P. The Grange
Loft Lewis Henry
Mitchinson Gordon F. The Bungalow
Mosscrop Thomas Duncan B.Sc. Skottowe house
Murray Robert M.B., Ch.B. High st
Pumphrey Martyn, Highfield
Rawlings Mrs. Meadowville
Sellars Gordon, White house
Smith Rev. William Lawson M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Thomas Herbert N. The Beeches
Whitwell Joseph Fry J.P. Langbanrgh hall

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Ernest, gardener to A. E. Kitching esq. D.L., J.P
Allenby Joseph W. shopkeeper,Mount Pleasant
Antill Phcllis (Miss), dressma
Atkinson Margaret (Miss), cowkeeper, Stanley houses
Banks Chas. John, frmr. Winley hill
Bennington Annie Miller (Mrs.), - draper, High st
Bickerton John, gardener to Sir John Pease Fry bart. M.A., J.P
Bottomley Edwin, market gardener; Bridge st
Bottomley F. T. joiner, High st
Bottomley J. (Mrs.), shpkpr. High st
Bradley John, blacksmith, Bridge st
Bradley Norman, butcher, Levenside
Brunton Wm. farmer, Angrove farm. T N Stokesley 128
Button Rt. tailor, High st
Cemetery (Wm. Johnstone, supt)
Chapman Win. milk seller, Woodville, John st
Charlton Emily (Miss), statnr.High st
Cinematograph Hall (N. Gardner & Co. props.), High grn
Clapham Jn. J. tailor, Levenside
Cockerill Bruce M. grocer, Station rd. T,N 22
Cockerill Wilson, butcher, High grn
Consitt Fred, auctioneer, High street
Craddock Rt. Spence, shopkpr. California
Cumbor Eliza Annie (Mrs.), farmer, Langbaurgh farm
Dixon Bros. grocers, High st
Dodsworth Frank, grocer, High grn
Donaldson A. E. (Mrs.) & Sons, farmers, Angrove North
Donaldson Jn. Hy. J.P. farmer, East Angrove farm
Dunning A• & sons, motor bus Proprietors; daily service between Middlesbrough & Broughton; tours a speciality, Wynford house. TN 22
Easton Emily (Miss), shopkeeper, East brook
Elgie Chas. gardener to Maj. C. F. H. Bolckow, Undercliffe cott
Farndale Florence M. (Mrs.),Buck, htl
Forster John Robert, hay & straw dealer, Westbrook
Foulger Jn. carrier, California
Franks Garbutt,joiner, Stanley houses
Friends' School (Herbert Dennis B.Sc. head master), co-educational boarding school, recognised as efficient secondary school by Board of Education; special courses in agriculture & domestic science; special school leaving certificate for boys taking agricultural course. TN 4
Garnsey Hubert Lionel, grocer & draper, High green
Grayson Clara & Ellice (Misses), milliners, High st
Grayson John, blacksmith, High st
Great Ayton Cricket Club (Wm. Kitching, sec)
Great Ayton & District Gas & Water Co. Ltd
Great Ayton Unionist Club (Herbt. Heaviside, sec. ; Rt. Carlton Stockdale, steward)
Great Ayton Working Men's Club (Joe Wright, sec.), Cleveland st
Harbottle T. & Son, cycle dlrs. Califiornia
Harbottle Joseph John, carpenter, California
Hodgson Maurice, farmer, Bartle bridge
Hoggart Jas. insur, agt. California
Hunter Rt. farmer, Hall farm
Hutchinson Thos. & Chas. Farmers
Hutton Albert Walter, boot & shoe maker, High street
Hutton Fred, boot repr
Iley George, miller, Grange mill
Ingledew Geo. builder, Low Grn,
Jackson John, hair dresser
Jackson Oliver, boot & shoe maker
Johnson Edwin & Sons, motor omnibus proprietors & coal merchants, California. TN 29
Johnson Fredk. butcher, Southbrook
Johnson Wm. coal dlr. Frankfield pl
Johnstone Watson, house decorator, Brook house
Kitching Edith (Mrs.), confctnr. High st
Kitching Jn. R, farmer, Applebridge
Kitching Noel, poultry breeder, The Grange
Lowther Jsph. butcher, California
Martin Wm. farmer, Manor farm
Metcalfe Ethel (Mrs.), shopkpr. California
Metcalfe William, blacksmith,High st
Middlesbrough Co-operative Society Limited (branch)
Midland Bank Ltd. (sub-branch) (Mervyn Duncan Ritson, mngr.) (open fri. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.), Waterfall ter. head office, 5 Threadneedle st. London E C 2
Mitford Stanley Harris, Royal Oak hotel, High st
Monkman Eliz. (Mrs.), greengro. Bridge hse
Moody S. R. W. (exors. of), agricultural produce mers, California. T N 17
Mountain Jn. Thos. painter,Bridge st
Murray Rt. M.B., Ch.B. Edin, surgn. & medical officer & public vaccinator Ayton district, Stokesley union. '1 N xo
Myers Robert, hairdirssr. California
National Provincial Bank Ltd. (subbranch) (F. Dickinson, mngr.), (open thnrs. from 11 a.m. to 2p.m.); head office, 15 Bishopsgate, London E C 2
Nicholls Jas. W. head gardener to H. Ktching esq. J.P. The Grange
Osborne Henry, grocer, High street
Outhwaite Herbt. solctr. & commissioner for oaths
Peacock George B. body b1dr.High st
Peacock Thomas Hartas, carman, California
Pearson D. H. & Son, haulage contrctrs
Pearson Arthur, builder, Park cottage
Pearson Worthy, news agt. High grn
Peart Thos. L. firewood dlr. Race ter
Pease & Partners Limited, iron stone mines. T N 7
Petch H. S. farmer, White Gate farm, Newton
Petch Isaac, farmer, Snow Hall farm, Newton
Robinson Eliz. Mary & Annie(Misses), boarding ho. Cliff Rigg.T N 28
Robinson Geo. (Mrs.),farmer, Rye hill,
Robinson James, cowkpr. Quarry ho
Robson Bros. bldrs. California
Robson Robt. frmr. Neatstead farm
Robson Thomas B. tailor, California
Rowland Charles Matthew, farmer, Stanley grange
Rowland Robert, shopkeeper, High st
Sanders Wm, cowkeeper, Green la
Sanderson Chas. shopkpr
Savage Alice (Mrs.), Tile Sheds inn, California
Sellars Walt. sec. to Stokesley Masonic Club, Ontram cott
Shaw Geo. Wm. shoplcpr. California
Shaw Rt. boarding ho. West view
Sidaway A. J. E. dentist, High st
Sidgwick Jn. Geo.insur. agt.Holly ho
Simons Alice (Mrs.), cnfctnr. Arthur st
Simons Edgar, shopkpr. California
Simpson Doris (Miss), hairdrssr. East par
Small Ernest, boot repr. California
Small Wm. butter factor,West holme
Sockett Alfd. Hy-. auctnr
Stevens Arth.haulage contrctr. TN 12
Stevens William, canary breeder, High green
Suggitt Arth. shopkpr. Waterfall ter
Tanfield Wilson, cowheeper, Arthur st
Teasdale Wm. cowkeeper, Mill ho
Thistlethwaite Wm. Hy. confctni. Station rd
Thomas Sidney Ernald, cycle agt. High st
Thomas William Henry, farmer, Langbaurgh grange
Pringle David Jn. statnr. High grn
Watson E. & Son, painters, High st
Wilkinson Wm. farmer, Greenhow Id
Williamson Regnld. Scoby M.P.S. chemist, East par
Wilson George E. plumber, High grn
Wilson Miss, boarding hse. Field ho
Wilson Norman, butcher, Waterfall ter
Wilsons' Stores, grocers, Bridge st
Winn I. E. W. (Mrs.), frmr. Tile Sheds

LITTLE AYTON.
(Letters for Tunstall should be addressed Nunthorpe.)

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Kitching Alfred Edward D.L., J.P. Ayton firs
Steel Capt. Rex, Bye Moor

COMMERCIAL. Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
°Armstrong JR. Jas. farmer, Tunstall
°Barker Richard Henry, Hall farm
Booth Reuben, farm bailiff to A. E. Kitching esq. D.L., J.P. Home frm
Bradley Sydney, farmer, Brookside
Brown Thos. Dixon, market gardener, Newfield
Fletcher John William, farmer, Woodhouse farm
Herring Susannah (Mrs.), farmer, Tunstall
Hodgson Chas. Rd. frmr. Harland hill
°Petch Thomas, farmer, Grange farm

Back to Trade Directories
Back to Home

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License